Planner, Planning Agency
Preparation and implementation of PDP (Physical Development Plan) which includes:
- TOD (Transit Oriented Development Plan) preparation and implementation.
- LUP (Land Use Plan) preparation incorporating risk sensitiveness as one of the features.
As a Planner, it has prepared a Long-Term Development Concept (LTDC) 2015-2035 of Kathmandu Valley, which is currently under public scrutiny. The LTDC consists of Strategies, Objectives, Supporting activities as well as list of “Doable, Visible, and Appreciable” Short term Projects, which will be implemented through a collaborative effort of relevant stakeholders.
Developer, Developing Agency
- Land Development /Land Pooling.
- Open Space Revitalization/ Greenery Enhancement.
- Project(s) Transcending One Local Body.
As a Developer, it has been undertaking participatory land development projects. By doing so it has been able to add tangible and intangible values to the Kathmandu Valley, contributing additional road and other public spaces, planned infrastructures etc.
Monitoring, Regulating and Prohibiting Agency
- Preparation and implementation of valley-wide planning, building bye-Laws.
- Preparation, implementation & monitoring of various urban development guidelines, handbooks and tools.
- Coordinating with different line agencies, local authorities and development partners for integrated and inclusive development of the KV.
- Preparation, implementation and monitoring of various regulating and prohibition mechanism for integrated development of the KV.
As a Regulator, it has proposed a revision in the existing planning and building bye-laws. It is also in the process of preparing various guidelines and handbooks including streetscapes and Urban Aesthetics, Urban Landscapes, indicators on Urban Disaster Resilience, Infrastructure Standards etc. for the Kathmandu Valley. The present Right-of-Way (RoW) clearance for Road Widening Program is one of the successful examples of its regulatory function.
Within its functional framework as a planning, developing and regulating authority, KVDA seeks to establish and institutionalize itself as an “exemplary organization” in urban planning and development through learning, sharing and capacitating the stakeholders. KVDA seeks to establish itself as a “center of excellence” through establishing a state-of-art infrastructure and knowledge hub to develop and promote innovative technologies and approaches for sustainable, environmentally friendly and risk resilient development of KV